Tuesday 20 September 2011

Adult Spots - How To Effectively Cleanse

Over the last few weeks my skin has taken a turn for the worst :( I have big spots on my chin area -which are often related to hormones - so I wanted to share with you what I do to help my skin heal.
As soon as I feel that bruise feeling on my face I kick start my Super Cleanse Skin Routine and keep my fingers crossed for speedy results and for the horrendous spots to vanish!


Super Cleanse Skin Routine

Firstly I remove all traces of make-up with Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser making sure I use the muslin cloth very gently over the bad areas and with tepid, not hot, water. It is important to say that when my skin is bad I don't wear foundation unless I am going out.

Secondly I boil the kettle, grab a large plastic mixing bowl, a large clean towel, cotton wool, my Avene Toner and a bottle of tea tree oil. 

Face Steam Process:

Fill the bowl with the freshly boiled water and add 5 drops of tea tree oil, swish round and leave to cool for 3/4mins.

Tie your hair back and place your head 4 inches above the water level and cover your head with the towel - hold the towel around the neck area so no steam can escape. 

Steam your face for 3 mins. 

After this first steam session soak a cotton pad with your usual toner (I use Avene Gentle Toner) and tone your face all over.

Top up the water with more boiled water straight from the kettle and repeat steaming your face for another 3/4 mins.

Cleanse your face with your toner again and pat dry with a clean towel.

If you need to squeeze the spot (steaming will ripen the area, sounds gross but it is true) use a very fine pin or needle to ease the spot out but it's essential to sterilise it in boiling water or a dettol/tcp solution first as you do not want to infect the area. DO NOT POP THE SPOT WITH YOUR FINGERS - this ruptures the skin and creates a scabby spot and even worse, scarring.

Wait for 10 mins and moisturise and apply tea tree oil to the spot/s using a cotton bud.

Steam every other day until your skin clears up and continue to steam your face once a week for the rest of your life! - who said being a woman was easy?!

No comments:

Post a Comment